Episode 275: Go with Your Gut: The Journey of Releasing Emotional and Physical Weight with Robyn Youkilis
In the episode you will hear about:
• Robyn’s relationship with food and how it changed at age 13
• The emotional and physical weight of not living in alignment
• Food as an experience
• Robyn’s initial resistance with motherhood and how it was a major foundational shift for her
• How Robyn has learned to slow down, connect with her body and intuition and gut, teach from that place and “calm the eff down”
• How to connect with your body
• Setting intention behind activities to achieve alignment
• Finding your intuitive food voice
• Robyn’s power yogurt parfait and Rule of Five Plate
• The connection between your food/body and success in other areas of your life
• Rockstar Coaching Program
• Robyn’s new book, “Thin from Within”
• Why Robyn wants people to how she “does it all”
• And so much more…
You know how every now and then you get lucky and have a conversation with someone who just “gets” you, your journey and how your brain works? Well, today’s guest, Robyn Youkilis checked that box. Growing up in a family that used food as a source of love, comfort and connection, I could completely relate. Don’t get me wrong this is a great thing, however the breaking point for Robyn (and myself) is when we started gaining weight and that warm, fuzzy connection went away and instead turned into a difficult connection.
Once she made this realization, Robyn set out to create a new conversation around food and weight. She didn’t want to view things as “good” or “bad,” rather she wanted to slow things down and figure out what foods would best support her body.
After much trial and error (that still happens on a daily basis), she now teaches others that it’s OK if you don’t have it all figured out – it may even take decades. It’s all about finding a formula that works for your body and adheres to what your intuition is telling you and keeps you in alignment. She also touches on how motherhood impacted her relationship with food and how it led to an impactful shift in her life then and now.
I had such a great time connecting with Robyn during this conversation. If you’re someone who struggles with your relationship with food, this episode is a must listen (and her book, Thin from Within, a must read).
• What is your life philosophy and how did you get to this place?
• What did the process of slowing down look for you?
• How has food become a foundation for everything you’re doing?
• What’s something in your life right now that you’re so excited about that you weren’t able to do before because food/body was taking up so much space in your brain?
• What is lighting you up the most right now?
• What is a question you wish more people would ask you?
• Do you have a secret dream that you envision for your future?
“You feel good when you’re connected to other people.”
“My body is my home.”
“Let your own story and journey be what you want it to be and know that it’s OK.”
“Go with your gut.”
Robyn Youkilis is an AADP Certified Health Coach, author, speaker, and leading expert in holistic digestive health. For nearly a decade, Robyn has helped clients shed both physical and emotional weight with her straightforward yet supportive coaching style, Your Healthiest You. She is the author of the best-selling books, Go with Your Gut and Thin From Within – The Go with Your Gut Way to Lose Weight, and has been featured by The Cooking Channel, The View, The Today Show, The Wall Street Journal, Health, Mind Body Green, Well Good, The Chalkboard Mag and more.
Robyn currently lives in New York City and Los Angeles with her husband and their daughter. She has been a member of the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) for nearly a decade and enjoys traveling, music festivals and eating dessert at fancy restaurants (one bite at a time, that is!).