Episode 277: How to Become the Person Who Makes BIG Impact with Tom Bilyeu
In the episode you will hear about:
In This Episode We Talk about:
• Tom’s family history of obesity
• Why Tom’s deeply passionate about helping people who struggle with weight
• Why the brain is malleable until we die
• Embracing inadequacies
• 80/20 motivation principle
• The difference between drive and ambition
• How Quest Nutrition was founded on passion
• Why Tom wasn’t a born entrepreneur
• The concept of renewal in nature and in life
• Cultivating a frame of reference
• Tom’s eagerness to reinvent himself
• Finding fulfillment
• Accepting that you’re wrong about things now
• Why being the smartest person in the room is a trap
• Being “anti-fragile”
• Harnessing adaptability
• Building relationships and making authentic connections
• And so much more…
I am so thrilled today to have Tom Bilyeu on the show! I recently had the amazing opportunity and experience of being interviewed on his podcast, Impact Theory and I couldn’t wait to continue the conversation and learn even more about the similarities in our lives and business – and this time, pick his brain.
Similar to my journey, Tom grew up in a family who struggled with their weight, and broke the pattern by choosing to pave a healthier way for himself and as result change the trajectory of his life at the same time. That’s why today he’s so passionate about helping others who struggle with their weight. However, Tom is the first to acknowledge that it’s not always an easy path. In fact, when it comes to success in weight loss or a business or career, nothing is guaranteed – except the pain or struggle. And to get through any of that, you must take action and also accept that you may not be right about x-y-z right now. We have to be willing to make changes if we want to see change.
Tune in to learn just what Tom does that helps him do just that. He shares so many tangible takeaways for all of us to start looking at what we’re doing right now and more into our next level of life. Please let me know what thoughts or actions you put into place because of them!
• Can you tell us a little about your background and what got you started in studying film?
• What’s the difference between finding knowledge and finding what motivates you?
• What is it in your mind that makes you contemplate what is good and change your path?
• What do you do and what do you look for in order to make sure you’re putting yourself in those spaces?
• What does creativity mean to you and what would your life look like without it?
• Where does the creation of a comic book fit into things right now?
• What’s your grand vision for what you’re doing right now?
• Do you know what that one story is?
• How are you seeking out the people needed for your next level?
“I’m going to believe the things that empower me.”
“The gap between where you are and what you want to accomplish is a gap of skillset. It is you not being good enough.”
“If you want to get to extraordinary, you’re going to have to realize that we’re rewarded and punished.”
“Drive is the willingness to act on a day-to-day basis in a way that moves you toward your goals. Ambition is having the goals.”
“To develop my drive, I had to suffer.”
“Things that are hard are gonna be the things that develop who you are.”
“What would we do and love every day even if we were failing?”
“The struggle is guaranteed – the success is not.”
“The skillset you already have has already taken you as far as its going to unless you do something that introduces you to a new idea that you turn into a usable skill.”
Tom Bilyeu is the co-founder of 2014 Inc. 500 company Quest Nutrition — a unicorn startup valued at over $1 billion — and the co-founder and host of Impact Theory. Tom’s mission is to break people out of the Matrix by sharing transformative content and fostering one-to-one communication within the Impact Theory community. Tom believes that human potential is nearly limitless, but the dual pandemics of mental and physical malnutrition are hindering a realization of this potential. Through in-depth interviews with the world’s top achievers, including Gary Vaynerchuk, Maria Sharapova, and Mel Robbins, Tom explores mindset-shifting tactics, questions accepted belief systems, and uncovers distinctive strategies for success.
Tom regularly inspires audiences of entrepreneurs, change makers, and thought leaders at prestigious conferences and seminars around the world, including Success Live, Hustle Con, Thrive, Abundance 360, Mindvalley’s A-fest, and Freedom Fast Lane. Tom has been featured on numerous top-rated podcasts such the Tony Robbins Podcast, The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes, Bulletproof Radio with Dave Asprey, and the Dr. Drew Podcast, and has been featured in Forbes, Inc., Success, and The Huffington Post. He is currently on the Innovation Board of the XPRIZE Foundation.