504. Get out of your own way – with Dave Hollis
In the episode you will hear about:
- How growth leads to discomfort
- Changing your relationship with failure
- Choosing how to utilize your time when you’re unhappy
- Bringing your partner along on your growth journey
- Understanding why you are in the place you are in
- Auditing your inner circle
- Practicing radical candor in your personal and professional life
- Accepting anything that comes up
- Writing a book
- Learn more: thehollisco.com
- Read: Get Out Of Your Own Way
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/dave-hollis-b5a48671
I’ve already had a chance to talk with Rachel Hollis on the show, but today I get to talk with the other half, Dave Hollis. It is so fun getting both perspectives when talking to someone about their business and life. His new book, Get Out Of Your Own Way, is all about finding a path to growth and fulfillment when you may be skeptical about the practicality of it. We dive deep into how growth leads to discomfort, getting familiar with failure, and growing along with your partner.
- Do you still get uncomfortable?
- What do you say to people who have serious concerns and fears around failure?
- What would you say to someone who doesn’t know if their partner is right for their personal development journey?
- What are the things that you want to say to people about what it actually takes?
- How do you make spaces to have private conversations?
- What do you do to accept anything that comes up?
- What are the things that came up when you wrote your book?
Dave Hollis serves as the CEO of The Hollis Company where he chases audacious dreams with his partner and CCO, the extraordinary NY Times Best-Selling author, motivational speaker, and world-changer Rachel Hollis.
The Hollis Company is built around the belief that everybody is made for more. It exists to arm people from every background with the tools to change their life for the better. Our content is a mix of encouragement, authentic truth-telling and tangible direction to make lasting change. We create tools and foster community to help people grow in their relationships, businesses, sense of self, and opportunities to impact others.
The Hollis Co measures success in impact: how can the media, live events, and merchandise we produce create real and lasting life change? The company lives in these lanes and it’s where the family of existing brands will continue to thrive.
Outside of The Hollis Co, Dave is a member of the Motion Picture Academy and sits on the membership committee, serves on an innovation board called Fandango Labs, as well as the board of Will Rogers Motion Pictures Pioneers, the board of foster care charity Austin Angels and the board of Pepperdine’s Institute for Entertainment, Media and Culture.
Dave believes in the importance of variety in a career as a prerequisite for considering any candidate — his myriad jobs in Research, Publicity, Talent Management, Grassroots Marketing, Brand Management, Retail Strategy, Technology Innovation, and Sales has rounded his expertise and affords an informed, solution-oriented macro view of any business.
Dave is the father of four children, an adoptive father, and four-time foster dad. As a family, the Hollis’ support philanthropy in the foster care and the teen/transitional homelessness space. They live and operate their business out of Austin, TX.