Ginger Bread Cookies
- 1/3 c. butter softened
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar (you can use 1/4 c. brown sugar and 1/4 c. Baking Truvia to cut down on sugar, but they will not be as soft and chewy)
- 1/2 c. molasses (can use 1/4 c. to cut down on sugar but they will not be as soft or chewy)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (can use 2 c. whole wheat and 1 c. all-purpose instead but the cookie dough will have a different texture)
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix softened butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, molasses, vanilla, spices, baking soda and powder until smooth.
- Slowly mix in flour.
- Place dough in the fridge until it easy to work with – about 15-30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thickness and use small cookie cutters of choice.
- If you don’t have a cookie cutter you can form these into small circular cookies.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes and remove from oven to let cool.
- Leave plain or use a light frosting and candies of your choice to decorate.
For a fun delicious spin on these yummy cookies, add 3 T. grated zest or orange. Such an amazing way to spice up your ginger men!